This seminar is part of a series that ERA has organised every year since 2003 devoted to the two European anti-discrimination directives adopted under Article 19 TFEU (ex Article 13 TEC). Directive 2000/43 prohibits all forms of discrimination based on race or ethnic origin in a number of areas. Directive 2000/78 prohibits all forms of discrimination in employment and occupation based on religion or convictions, handicap, age and sexual orientation.
Certain key subjects will be dealt with, such as the concepts of direct/indirect discrimination and harassment, the sharing of the burden of proof and the question of remedies and sanctions. Furthermore, the seminar will look into each of the different grounds, with special attention to the case-law of the European Court of Justice.
Interaction among participants will be encouraged through periods of discussion and working groups requiring their active participation.
Monday 14 and Tuesday 15 May: Seminar for legal practitioners in English and French
- Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June: Seminar for members of the judiciary in English and German
- Monday 17 and Tuesday 18 September: Seminar for academics in English
- Monday 8 and Tuesday 9 October: Seminar for members of the judiciary in English and Spanish
- Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 November: Seminar for legal practitioners in English and German
- Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 November: Seminar for members of the judiciary in English and Polish